Sunday, August 12, 2018

Weird dreams, did you say?


Weird dreams, did you say?
I can tell you all about weird dreams.  Somewhere in the mix of the Magical Mystery Tour, running through the looking glass, into a Karn Evil 9.  Throw in a side of Doctor Who and you’re getting closer.



Last night I had the strangest dream (yes, I do say that a lot. Indeed.)
First there was the animal enclosure… inside it were small elephants and small giraffes.  From a distance they all appeared normal in size, um…by earth standards I guess I should say.  I just don’t know.  I was invited into the enclosure.  That’s when I realized that the animals were,…somewhat miniature.  The adult elephants the size of bull mastiffs, or if you are not familiar with those, think Newfoundland or Saint Bernard.  The giraffes were, of course a bit taller, what with the long necks and long legs.

When I opened the door I startled one of the tiny, baby giraffes.  The creature let out frightened “YELP”, and then turned toward me and rose up on its rear legs, in a gesture that plainly said, “pick me up, I am scared and I scared you too.”  And then it shat on me.  I did not mind. It was just a baby, after all, and I had startled the poor thing.

And then the animals, enclosure and all, vanished and I was on my way into the basement of my house.  Something about laundry and if only this damn house had a bathroom in the downstairs.  VOILA!!   There I see a bathroom, sink and lav, where the laundry room exists in reality. And as I approached I could see that another little room had been added, and in that room was a washer and a dryer.  How delightful!  Oh, but look over here! Suddenly there are other people with me… and they are indicating a newly added doorway, in the middle of an expanse of wall.  It seems to be a crafters closet, in a new push out from the existing footprint of the building….. it was just about where the window well exists in the real world.

We adjourned upstairs, and I found myself outdoors, where I spy a man with a great many dogs.  Yes, dogs.  None of the dogs is much more than knee high.  All of the dogs are a brown-honeyish color.  I think to myself, “38 dogs.”  And suddenly I am in a mansion with the man, the dogs, and the mans wife and many teenage children.  I am introduced to Grandmother,  a very old matriarch.  We are going to a party in Grandmother’s honor, it’s her birthday party.  A huge affair.  There are long tables in the hall, and then the hall vanishes and we are outdoors.  Many long tables, and even more chairs, but and there are strange entertainers along the sides of the party tables, behind you if you are seated facing the tables.


One of the entertainers pitches an object at me, and I do mean pitch.  The object hits me hard enough to embed it spines into my cloak.  I pry the object loose and toss it back in the direction I believe it came from.  I walk around the table area, looking for the Grandmother, but not finding her.  Along the way I find the man with the 38 dogs.  We are among a group of family members, and they mention the 38 dogs…. For indeed that is how many dogs the man has.  The dogs prance around the periphery of the party, I walk with the family group for a moment, then they vanish.  I am still looking for the Grandmother, so I continue.

Eventually I pause and sit to rest. Food in appetizer form has been brought to the tables.  I join in eating a bit, while wondering where the man with the 38 dogs has gone, and will I find the Grandmother.  The sky darkens, there is some odd entertainment.  It is funny, but it is all like a cartoon. I see something amusing, and as I move closer it makes me think of Mr. Bean, except that it is still very cartoon-like.

Quite suddenly I am walking toward a large bed.  It is the Grandmother’s bed, but no one is in the bed, it is made.  I move on, back along the periphery of the party tables.  There are a great many people at this party.  I spy a man sitting on his own, behind the partyers… he is somehow handicapped or disabled.  I decide that I will ask him about this party, and whether he knows where the Grandmother is.  The mans wife pushes back from the table and scurries over to intercept me.

In another sudden change of scene I see a young woman with a child.  They are at the door to a building…. It seems like a terrific idea to explore, so into the building we go.  It is like stepping into a historical recreation, with antique furniture and tchotchkes.  There is an ironwork staircase, and a dumbwaiter style, single person, lift.  The young woman and child step onto the lift platform and it drops suddenly, as the two exclaim, and shriek.  I peer down the wrought iron stairs, and then rapidly head downward.   When I reach the bottom and step away the stairs rise up, into the stairs above.  Looking around I see a small room, but no people.  I want to go back up. I reach up and pull the stairs back down, but they do not open properly, fully.  I climb and clamor over railings, bypassing the damaged portion of the stairs, where I would not fit through the opening.  Openings are getting smaller, how like a dream. 

I do manage to gain access to the next level and the next.  Here are windows, and I think I see a lake out there, but there is also a creature, large, slimy looking hunchbacked…. A voice tells me to touch the creature, but I do not want to.  Somehow I know that danger lies in touching the pea-soup-green, slimy looking thing.  It moves, in a kind of rocking motion, its head hidden from my view by a portion of whatever I am standing on.

I wake up.  Very groggy, due to medications I have taken at bedtime.  38 dogs? That man. The Grandmother…. The slimy skinned creature….

I shrug all of it off… the stuff of nightmares for some is old hat for me….. I am a pro.  I have had the stuff of nightmares every night, as far back as I am able to recall.





.
.
.
.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes.
.
.

Peacefully I sleep.
I am comfortable with the odd-mares.
the bad cannot hurt me here.
I know where I am.
.
.
.
.
.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment