Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Be Who You Are

I don't know how old I was,...not yet 8 years old I will guess....the first time I saw an episode of The Addams Family.  I refer, of course, to the television series starring John Astin, Carolyn Jones, and Ted Cassidy as Lurch.

wiki/The_Addams_Family_(1964_TV_series)



What I do remember is that I liked them.  They were my kind of people.  When Morticia proclaimed delight over a thunderstorm I knew I would be almost at home in the Addams mansion.  

I definitely related to Wednesday, the solemn child with the headless doll.  I was not allowed to play with the large collection of dolls that "belonged" to me.... they were kept on a high shelf, out of reach so that I would not "ruin" their hair. Thank you mother. I wish my mother had seen Wednesday's dolls,.... maybe she have simply removed the heads from my dolls and allowed me to play with the bodies.


The Addams Family tv show theme....


I loved Grandmama, and Uncle Fester. Whenever they appeared I knew it was going to be a grand time.  While their antics made me laugh, they also endeared those characters to me.

I particularly loved Cousin Itt, with his (it's?) gorgeous hair.....I was a little jealous of those gorgeous locks....


Yes, The Addams Family was in black and white,.... I will tell you a secret: I never wondered what it would look like in color,...I didn't care.  Black and white mostly meant that nothing would distract from the fun.

The Addams' were somewhat somber, and they were definitely different. That is probably why I liked them so much.  I identified with different, if for no other reason than that I did not want to be anything like anyone I knew......






There is nothing wrong with being different. 





No comments:

Post a Comment