Saturday, May 4, 2019

the first time we flew

in was 1970.  my dad had died that september.  my mother's son lived in Florida.... and that was where we flew to.  my dad never flew in any type of flying machine, not helicopter (though it was offered to him), nor hot air balloon, nor bi-plane.  (he was born before the Wright brothers flew.

We were off for a Christmas adventure.  My mother and I.  I am not sure which us was more excited by the idea of flying in an airplane.  My mother was very nervous, but as a 10 year old, I was not nervous at all. 

Someone dropped us off at O'Hare International Airport.  I am sure that we were quite early.  We had brand new luggage, and one carry on bag for the two of us, and mother's purse.  There was no TSA security queue.  Our bags were checked in and we sat in chairs in the lobby of Terminal 2. 

The airline?  Eastern Airlines, The Wings of Man....  I believe they were the "official airline" of Walt Disney World at one point.  

At that time people dressed in their Sunday "best" -- nice outfits, to fly on airplanes.  It was a big deal.  They served decent meals too, and didn't charge extra for that.  There was usually a choice of two different meals.  They gave away Eastern Airlines playing cards, or a little die-cast airplane, or a pin shaped like wings and embossed: "Eastern Airlines" .... someone gave me a carry bag with the Eastern Airlines logo on it. (That was not free.)



Coach featured much wider seats that airlines now days.  The plane was very clean, comfortable, and smelled nice, however, smoking was allowed throughout the plane.  

We changed planes at Atlanta, which had my mom all freaked out.  I had it figured out pretty quick, though, and hollered for her to stand still for a minute and look up --at the tv screen with the list of flights and gates on it.  She was all in a panic, until I read the flight number for the rest of our trip, and the gate, which was directly across the way from the plane we had just exited.  That calmed her right down.  (nevertheless she panicked every time we got to Atlanta,... by my best memory a total of 12 times -6 times to and from Florida, and she could not get the hang of switching planes).

As an aside here: the summer after that first winter trip we flew to California! for a wedding... on a real 747!! The original fleet 747s that were HUGE and very roomy on the inside.  These were kind of promotional flights meant to show off the roominess and get more people to fly more often.  I have never seen such a plane since.
I swear you could have played full court basketball in the coach section....  3 seat on the sides and a full 5 seats across the middle of the plane! I know that because there were 6 of us and we all sat side by side, with my uncle across the aisle.

Anyway, flying sure ain't what it used to be! packed in like a bunch of sardines! It's hell for taller people to fly on cram-packed airplanes now days.






No comments:

Post a Comment