Monday, May 6, 2019

road pizza

...if you catch my drift.... not for the overly sensitive... what do you think I mean by "road pizza"?

I was working... I traveled for work.. I was in northwestern Georgia, in a town called LaFayette.  Spent the night at an awful motel (that would be an entirely separate blog)....  I had to be at the job location by 4:00am.  Yes, in the morning, before it was light out. 

I dragged all my stuff down the stairs of the motel, to the tractor...

THIS IS A TRACTOR. (as in tractor-trailer)

and hefted my suitcase and stuff up into the passenger side. 
I pulled out of the motel lot at about 3:30a.m. and starting driving to the other end of town.  Through LaFayette, and out the south end of town a bit... and turned onto a very dark paved road leading to the job location.  VERY DARK.  And I was driving maybe 30 -35 mph...  The pavement was black, blacktop, and it was an empty road at that hour of the night.  

One second the pavement was black and the next second a large, white-grey opossum had morphed up out of the black pavement. It was right in front of the tractor.  There was NO WAY I could stop. 


That possum stopped and looked up... and she was directly in front of the tractor, and the drive tires went by her on either side.... and I chanted aloud, "don't move,..don't..."  BA-BUMP....  she had moved.  The rear duallys smashed that possum.  .... I continued on my way,... I could not see behind me in the darkness...  
I had to get to the job, and work for the next 5 hours....

The next time I saw that possum.... yep, she was road pizza.

what's a girl to do? 

....
...
..
.

No comments:

Post a Comment