Sunday, July 15, 2018

July 15, 2018, ..."national ice cream day"...


happy national ice cream day.....

chocolate mint has been my favorite since I was 8 or 9 years old..... whenever Baskin Robbins opened on Lee St., in Des Plaines, Illinois. 



I was "not allowed" to ride my bike down there... about 1/2 mile from our house.  But neither was I forbidden from going.  I have no memory of how I asked for the money, I guess that I always had a little money for myself, from the time I was 8 or 9.... I think that a double scoop, in a waffle cone, was 90 cents...so you get a feel for it being that long ago....

Before I discovered Baskin Robbins I would go in the opposite direction from our house... I do remember being forbidden from crossing two busy streets to get to Convenient.  Convenient was a predecessor to 7-11, a fair-sized convenience store in a little shopping strip on the north west corner of Wolf Road and Algonquin Road.... those two busy streets that I was not supposed to cross -especially with my bicycle. 

How could my Dad have NOT known what I was doing! I put the empty ice cream containers in our trash can! outside our garage.  I wonder if my parents even discussed it at all, or if Dad just chuckled to himself and let it go. Our secret.  Chocolate Malt,... it was about a half pint of chocolate, malty delight! Eaten with a wooden "spoon", and thoroughly enjoyed by little me!


Of course I was extra careful crossing the busy streets, because my parents would have "killed" me if they caught me.... but maybe they knew, and maybe they knew that I was extra super careful crossing those busy streets, so "no one would know".... 

Happy National Ice Cream Day.
.
.
.
.

.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment