Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Dennis Rodman...... walked right past me......

It was back in the mid-1990's.  I drove, with my mother, to the Cincinnati, Ohio area to visit my great-niece for her 13th birthday. We left our two dogs in the care of pet -sitters -something we never did before (or after).

We spent the weekend in the Cincinnati area -but..... It was a long trip... in Indiana, somewhere north of Lafayette off I-65 the transmission on the Subaru blew.  Thankfully we were in a rest area, and there were some state employees present who knew just who to call.  This was on a weekend -the week before the Indianapolis 500.  The tow truck arrived within 10 minutes of the phone call being made.  The tow truck driver knew his business.  As he drove, with the two of us in the cab of the tow truck, he talked aloud about where to take us so that we would get help and a rental car at 3:00 on a Friday afternoon --the weekend before the Indy 500.  The local Subaru dealers service department would close at 5:00, but there was a transmission shop he knew of....  they would probably be the best choice -and be able to help us find a rental car as well.

So, we agreed on the local transmission shop.  The fellow there was very helpful, calling car rental agencies where he knew the staff.  He said that a rental car, that close to Indy, would be hard to come by --a week before The 500.  But he found us a rental car, a Grand Am, for a fair price for a weekly rental.  So, after a 2 hour delay we were on our way again..... incidental details.....  we had a lovely time with my great niece and my great nephew.  We visited with their grandpa (my half brother), and other family members.  All good.

Except that I was not able to get the pet sitter on the phone.  Not the neighbors either.....  those 2 dogs we left at home?  They were like my children.  I was very worried about them.  I had separation anxiety.

So, very early on Monday morning both of us were awake.  Both worrying about our little doggies, home alone.  By 4:30am we were dressed and ready to go....300+ miles home to northern Illinois.  We hauled our suitcases and bags and coolers out to the parking lot and started loading the car......... and that's when I saw them.

Some characters who looked quite suspicious, and a little scary, from a distance as they walked through the parking lot in the early morning stillness.

I told my mother to get in the car.  She was more scared than I was.  I just kept loading our stuff into the car trunk.

The suspicious characters walked by without uttering a word.  I looked up after they went by.... there was a tattooed arm on the really tall fellow.  He had very short cropped blond hair.  I thought "no way"..... he turned his head and I caught that profile..... Dennis Rodman!  Holy crap!  They were already starting to fold him down into a Ford Mustang.... dang!!! Dennis Rodman..... ok, he wasn't on my list of people to meet, but still..... as you may imagine I have never forgotten that moment of recognition.....

So, our two cars set out for Chicago at the same time.... I even managed to keep up with them for about 6 or 7 miles....... they were FLYING!
Dennis Rodman.  before the wedding dress......

........oh yeah, about the Subaru transmission... Subaru said it would need a brand new transmission for 6 grand! a car with 52,000 miles on it.... right.  And the transmission shop in Lafayette, Indiana put a rebuilt transmission in the car --and I drove it for another 15 years!  total cost, including rental car:  $2700.  booyah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment