Saturday, October 8, 2022

The Day I Quit My Job

I did quit, in a crying fit of tears and hopelessness… and then my boss asked me how I was going to get home, and the company wasn’t going to pay my way home from Nebraska. 

 

Let’s start at the beginning…

I was ready to go first thing in the morning, and wouldn’t you know it – the truck (tractor) wouldn’t start. I called the client and he sent someone to give me a ride. While I was waiting I called my boss so that he could get someone out with a loaner tractor, and tow the dead one back to Columbus, Nebraska (the nearest place with a facility of the company the tractor was leased from).


location of the Cargill, at Ord Nebraska - the green star


The only hotel in Ord, Nebraska at the time was the Airport Motel, which was on the other end of town from the job site. (I hear tell that there is a nice hotel right across the road from the Cargill now.)

I was at the job site well beyond the 4 hours scheduled, what with the truck issues, tow truck dropping off the replacement tractor and returning with the broken tractor.  At the job site I did hearing tests, and respirator fit tests, and (if memory serves) a sound level survey was added, since I was waiting for the replacement tractor… that’s how I got some great photos of Ord, Nebraska from atop the Cargill grain elevator/silo.


 


Naturally my story doesn’t end there… I hadn’t quit my job yet.

The loaner tractor was a nightmare. A real p.o.s.  The gears were bad, and it was hard to shift, especially in the lower gears.  I had another job assignment over an hour from Ord, in Albion.  I had to drive a p.o.s. tractor, towing the hearing van, 65 miles across the rolling hills of Nebraska on narrow, old, 2 lane roads.

By the time I got to the Albion Cargill I had 30 minutes to complete several respirator fit tests on a grumpy group who wanted to go home.  The facility closed 30 minutes after I arrived, the manager stayed until I completed the necessary paperwork and packed up the gear.

Now I was tired, and very unhappy with the tractor, and my plans for the evening were for shit. I had hoped to arrive at the next job site in daylight, so I could find a small factory in the middle of the corn fields. No such luck. The tractor refused to cooperate, making it take longer to get another 55 miles in the dark. 

view of the sand hills of Nebraska, Ord, NE

On top of everything I lost a filling and was going to have trouble chewing anything.  I made it to the hotel, and thankfully there was a huge parking lot that I could turn the tractor-trailer around in and leave it facing the direction of the exit for my 4:30 a.m. departure. (Yes 4:30 a.m. such was the nature of the job, and having to process testing on the schedule of the client.)

After checking in to the hotel I walked across the road to a diner, and perused the menu.  There didn’t seem to be anything on the menu that didn’t require chewing,.. damn.  I chatted about it with the waitress and ordered a lemonade.  It didn’t appear that I was going to get dinner at the diner, and they were getting ready to close for the night.  I was near tears as I finished the lemonade; I remember the look of concern from the waitress as I paid for the drink and walked out.  I was full on ugly-crying by the time I got back to the lobby of the hotel.  There were several people in the lobby, and not one of them appeared to notice me. I made it to the top of the stairs and across the landing (open to below) and before I could get through the hallway door I started to sob loudly.  I continued to cry out loud the rest of the way to my room, not caring who heard. (Doors opened and quietly closed in my wake.)

Finally in my hotel room, I opened a suitcase and took out a pudding cup, the only thing I had that didn’t require chewing.  And then I called my boss, Mark. I led with “I QUIT”, my voice quivering as I was still crying. I didn’t let him interrupt until I was done telling him my tale of woe.  Crappy loaner tractor, bad tooth, late arrival, no dinner…. I fucking quit.  And then Mark asked me how I was going to get home from “Podunk” Nebraska since the company wasn’t going to pay my way if I quit my job. And who did I think was going to get there by 4:30 a.m. to take over for me.  I was all “fuck you” about it (knowing that I could get away with saying that to him, because he knew how upset I was, and he was not unsympathetic about it, just realistic.) So, I told him, “FINE. I’ll quit later.”

And it doesn’t really end there…. I took a shower and got about 4 hours of sleep….

Then, at 4:00 in the damn morning I started the p.o.s. tractor and set out to find the job location in the pitch dark of the countryside.  I drove past a road, couldn’t see the sign in the dark, stopped the tractor-trailer on the deserted road, and got out with a flashlight to walk back and read the street sign.  Sure enough that was where I was supposed to turn… onto a very narrow, barely paved, road.

Back in the tractor I started to back the rig down the road. That’s when a vehicle came along and a man got out and asked if everything was all right. He told me that it was the road I needed to be on, and helped me back up far enough to make the turn.  Then he explained to drive “about a half mile, to the end of the road, and make a left turn”, and from there I should be able to see the floodlight shining on the front of the factory building.

So, I did make it to the job site on time, and continued to work.  When I was done there I had to drive about 150 miles to get the trailer to where it’s original tractor was being repaired.

Oh, I could go on… I got the vehicle parked, the tractor disconnected, and waited for a cab…. on to the next adventure. Oh yeah, I worked for that company for another 5 years… so much for quitting my job.

 ....

...

..

.


No comments:

Post a Comment