Monday, May 15, 2017

Movies of the 1970s.... (that I saw in theaters)

I have great memories of movies from the 70's. My mom and I would go to the movies on Saturday, and I would be so stoked after seeing one movie that we would go see another,... and sometimes we out on Sunday afternoon for another!! Great movies, and great memories!

I wrote the text above the day I read the article this excerpt is from:
“When James Caan, who played Sonny Corleone in The Godfather, appeared in Cannes this week, he delivered a stinging slap to modern Hollywood. “Most of the films they’re doing, in Hollywood anyway, are these franchise films,” he said. “I’ve become very negative about the films of today… I was very fortunate in the 1970s to work with the best actors, the best directors, and the best cinematographers.”
One might, perhaps, be tempted to dismiss it as the nostalgia of a veteran actor for his own glory days, except that many other leading figures in cinema seem to share his view. Caan’s latest film, Blood Ties, is set amid organised crime in 1970s Brooklyn – almost as though its director, Guillaume Canet, yearned to dive back into the era and the city that spawned that decade’s gritty masterpieces, from Mean Streets to Serpico.”
__________________________

Today I did some research, and made a list of movies that we went to the theaters to see… I compiled my list from this link after reviewing the first 350 movies on their seemingly endless list…..

To begin with I read the teen magazines (16, Tiger Beat, Spec, etc.), which initially were passed down by one of my older nieces.  So, in my memory the first movie I asked my mother to take me to see was Romeo and Juliet http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063518/  starring Len Whiting and Olivia Hussey, in 1968.  I was a child, and my mother asked me several times if I was sure I wanted to see this movie…. I think I was 8 years old.  My mother was totally mystified by my request, nonetheless she took me to see the movie, at a movie theater that used to exit on the north side of the Randhurst Mall shopping center in Mount Prospect, Illinois.  I of course had no clue what this movie was going to be, I just knew that I read about and it was a “must see” movie.  I LOVED IT!! Kind of adult themes, if you think about it, but I understood it enough –I knew that Juliet was not really dead, and I was horrified to realize what Romeo was doing.  My first introduction to the power of love.  I am not sure, in retrospect, whether to be happy or horrified that my mother took me to see this movie before I was even 10 years old.  But that was the real beginning of my intense love of movies and actors.  And when I say “actors” that, for me, encompasses any actor: female or male.

It is absolutely true that occasionally we would see one movie as early in the day as possible, and then travel to another movie house and view a second movie in the same Saturday.  And then see another movie on Sunday….

The listing I reviewed, prior to this writing, was only the TOP 350 films released between 1970 and 1979, so there are a plethora of movies that we saw in theaters that I don’t have on my list.  Of course some movie titles remind me of other movies we saw, so it will follow that I will include movies not on that particular list here.

And I agree completely with James Caan:  “the 1970s ….. the best actors, the best directors, and the best cinematographers.” The BEST movies, because they just don’t make them like that any longer.  That is why I am writing this. I am so grateful to my mother for indulging my need to go to the movies, and to see more, more, more movies.  And at the same time, looking at that list of 350 films –we saw only a handful! It boggles the mind.

From Paper Moon to Blazing Saddles and Young Frankstein,…. The Panic in Needle Park to Billy Jack to The Way We Were…. we went to the movies and saw a great cross-section of what Hollywood was churning out, and every one was a new story, there was no predictability, it was mind-boggling and amazing.

Tatum O'Neal as Addie and Ryan O'Neal as Mose Pray (Paper Moon)

A lot of Robert Redford movies, but that was the era when he made the most movies…. And I was obsessed with him for a time…. It was my mother’s own fault.  Us girls wanted to see a rather violent, gritty movie called The Seven Ups (starring Roy Scheider) ,… but the mom’s thought that was too violent. They chose to take 2 thirteen year old girls to see The Way We Were,.. adult themes and a simulated sex scene!! And Robert Redford looking so damn gorgeous in that white Naval 
uniform…….. (I never let my mother forget it!)  I was in love! 

Barbra Streisand as Katie and Robert Redford as Hubbell (The Way We Were)

For the next 3 or 4 years I purchased every magazine and newspaper I could find with anything about Robert Redford in it.  4 scrapbooks later, sometime after Three Days of The Condor, Redford slowed down and I was older, I lost interest,…. I still love him, but I grew up.  But along the way mom and I thoroughly enjoyed The Great Waldo Pepper, Downhill Racer, Jeremiah Johnson, The Candidate, All the President’s Men, The Sting, and the gorgeously filmed all-star The Great Gatsby, which will always be my favorite movie, right after Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.

Here is a portion of my list: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Jaws (masterpiece!), American Graffiti, The Towering Inferno, Bad News Bears, What’s Up Doc, For Pete’s Sake, Going In Style, Jesus Christ Superstar, A Time To Run, MASH, SPYS, The China Syndrome, Gator (Burt Reynold’s follow up to White Lightning), Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Cowboys, Billy Jack, Earthquake, Airport ’75, and so many more…

Terri Garr as Inga, Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, and Marty Feldman as Igor (Young Frankenstein)


I even talked my mom into taking me to see some movies that gave her pause,…. Harry & Tonto –I was 13, I told her it was about an old man and his pet cat –that was true! But there was some pretty graphic language, and adult themes, ….   The Panic in Needle Park, “but mom, Al Pacino is in it.” and I will still argue that it was a good idea for me to see at the age of 14 – it’s all about heroin addicts, and it is graphic and it is gritty and realistic in portraying an addict as a person who will sell their soul for the drug.  (I never did more than smoke a little grass, and I credit this movie with scaring me off of drugs forever.) …. And Dog Day Afternoon, when I was 15, but mom was still objecting to the language, and what she saw a hero worship of criminals. And I saw Pacino’s character, Sonny, as pathetic.  But I did love the films of director Sidney Lumet.

Al Pacino as Sonny, and John Cazale as Sal (Dog Day Afternoon)


Have I switched to director’s? yes, off the top of my head: Sidney Lumet, Sydney Pollack, William Friedkin, David Lean, Blatty, Coppola, Scorsese, Hitchcock (of course), Ridley Scott, and Steven Spielberg….

Again, I am thankful that my mother took me to the movies almost every weekend (between 1972 and 1976)…..because:





No comments:

Post a Comment