Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Twenty-third Psalm

I remember how I felt the first time I heard and read the 23rd Psalm. 


It was at my Aunt Mae's funeral.  I was 12 years old.  I was becoming aware. Aware of so many things. The sobering reality of death. 

My Aunt Mae was sick for a long time.  She had cancer.  I never really had any other details about that, and I never will.  My mother was Mae's younger sister.  Another sister, Emma, and my mother took care of Mae for more than a year.  They knew she was dying.  They did what they could for her as she grew weaker.

At my Aunt Mae's funeral the pastor read Psalm 23, and I grasped the beauty of that passage, the love, the depth.  
I cried harder as he read....


Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


Lorne Greene reads The Twenty Third Psalm


wiki/Psalm_23




God Bless.
Amen.



....
...
..
.

No comments:

Post a Comment