Friday, February 22, 2019

riding a bicycle, gliding on air....


thinking of one person, in particular (Hi Matt), who has seen my bicycle, and thinks it is profoundly hilarious that I would ride it.....

he doesn't understand that riding a bicycle is about the pure joy of sailing through the air with one's feet off the ground, and not at all about what one looks like doing so.....

For, you see, I understand now, my mother’s frequent plea that she wanted to learn to ride a bicycle. 

We would not let her, because we did not want her to injure herself….. And there was never money to purchase for her one of those 3-wheeled adult trikes.


but what she wanted was to feel the wind, rushing at her, blowing her hair, and gliding.... 

to feel free from the earthly bounds of gravity for those few seconds.... 

balancing with the determination that a child possesses to learn the art of the glide that is a bicycle ride.........




my bicycle LOOKS LIKE this one..... it is NOT a Schwinn bicycle, but it is this style.  I got it when I was 40.




.
.
for the record my mother asked for a little red wagon for Christmas one year,.... 

She was about 57 years old at the time.....

To her delight she got her little red wagon.... from her son and his children....

....
...
..
.

No comments:

Post a Comment