Saturday, December 1, 2018

My Favorite Thanksgiving


My Favorite Thanksgiving…

Well the best funny Thanksgiving story anyway….a few years ago….
It was the year that most of the folks were sick… they stayed home, but sent representatives who were not sick with the flu.  I don’t recall the year, but the littlest one was probably 2 years old.  Certainly old enough to enunciate clearly, and yet young enough to make those utterances that exasperate mommy.  He was so cute!

So, at my niece’s home we were gathered,… I honestly remember this as the group: my niece, her husband, their wee tot, and two of my nephews.  In my memory no one else was present.  That may be why I am the only who still tells the story of that Thanksgiving day.

Five adults and one little boy gathered around the table. We chatted and laughed and generally enjoyed ourselves waiting for the meal to be ready.  Finally all the food was on the table and we were ready to begin our meal.  And that’s when it happened.

Little Caleb piped up, loud and clear, “I want quesadillas!” he announced.  My two nephews and I immediately turned to his mother and, in unison, said, “YOU HAVE QUESADILLAS?” and then we laughed as she said, “No!” to all of us; and then, to little Caleb, “sweetie, it’s Thanksgiving. We have turkey.” 

.
.

Alas, there were no quesadillas served,… and yet every Thanksgiving I get this craving….
And the sweet little boy? He went off to college this year... quite the handsome young man,...
with no memory of the quesadillas that weren't.....

.
.

I still have delightful Thanksgivings with the same folks, usually at one of the nephew's homes.  It is always a pleasure to join this family for holiday meals.  No dissent, no arguments, everyone gets along so wonderfully.  I am grateful to be included in the group.

Truth be told they make every Thanksgiving is my favorite Thanksgiving.


....
...
..
.
.

1 comment:

  1. just this past Easter (April 21. 2019) someone mentioned the "Quesadilla Thanksgiving)

    ReplyDelete