Friday, September 21, 2018

'skeeters --damn bugs!

Presently we are experiencing an unusual outbreak of large, voracious, menacing mosquitoes in northern Illinois.... and that reminded me.......

.
.
During my seventh year we had a fish tank.  This was during the time we lived in the Cape Cod house.... the fish were in a small tank on a little side table in the dining room.  This fish tank was your basic glass fish bowl, no aerator, nothing fancy.... gold fish, little ones.


It should not surprise anyone to know that I still have this particular fish bowl....but I digress.....

Anyway, we came home from ...someplace,... and entered the house through the front door.  And we were very quickly assaulted by swarming mosquitoes.... Naturally my father was OUTRAGED, and yes, I do mean that he exclaimed loudly and uttered some profanity! If you really knew him you get my meaning fully.  *wink wink


"Where on earth are these mosquitoes getting into MY house!"  My parents hurried to check that the screened in porch, which we never used, was secured.  There was no sign of an open door or breached screen.  Multiple doors and windows on the main floor were inspected in short order.  And that was when they realized that the worst concentration of the bugs was in the dining room.

"The DINING room!" .... that was where the fish tank was!

My parents hurried over to the fish bowl and, sure enough, there were more mosquitoes hovering above it... the goldfish were probably delighted! 

My father went to the garage and returned with a piece of screen that had been meant to use to repair window screens.  Using a pliers he quickly fashioned a cover to put on top of the fish bowl.

And that, my friends, is the entire story....  and nevermore did we have a fish bowl or tank of any kind in our home without some kind of covering over the top.

....
...
..
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment