Saturday, April 8, 2017

Someone who matters to me

A cousin whom I love dearly has mental illness.  I do not remember when I received this information, but I do not think that it came as much of a surprise at the time.  Sadly I had come to the realization that there was something,…not quite right,… about her during one of our infrequent meetings over the years.  I did know that she had suffered a tragedy: the death of a beloved person.  But, first, I am writing this to share the memories of times that made me love her, memories of a rebel, who refused to fit in. I shall keep this as anonymous as possible.  For the purpose of this writing I will call my dearly loved cousin Phoebe.

Phoebe is 4 or 5 years older than I, and our closeness did come quickly, as she had a younger sister who was closer to my age, with whom I spent more time.  I spent several weekends with their family when in my early adolescence.  These were wonderful visits for me, as there were several sisters and, at times they took me in as if I were one of them.  Their generosity of acceptance was only displayed when other cousins were not present; nonetheless, (being an only child) I appreciate those brief tastes of the loving side of sisterhood.

It was near to my 13th birthday the time I was dropped off at my cousin’s home only to learn that it would be just Phoebe and I that particular weekend.  I have no recollection of the reason for this.  When I arrived Phoebe was babysitting a family friend’s infant and 2 year old.  The 2 year old was unhappy and Phoebe was talking like a cartoon character and trying to get the little one to laugh.  I found this hilarious, and soon the child as well as Phoebe and I were laughing and having a good time.  I quickly forgot that I did not, at that point, know Phoebe well, and we fell into an easy companionship.

Left with much of a winter Saturday to entertain ourselves, Phoebe and I decided to bring the dog with us and carry ice skates down to the creek, which was frozen over.  The dog, a breed from the land of ice and snow, loved it, towing us along the creek as we jumped or skated around obstructions in the shallow creek bed.   With little warning the ice gave way!  (this creek is very shallow, we were in no real danger)  The two of us girls shrieked and each jumped to a different bank of the creek.  We were laughing, and realizing that we were now separated by the creek, we started to laugh more.  And we could not stop laughing!  The ice broken, neither of us was in any hurry to attempt a crossing at that point.  Somehow this became funnier and funnier, and we just continued to break into gales of laughter as we made our way back toward the house.  Honestly we laughed so much that it became a race to get to the bathroom.  Looking back, I wish that we humans never lost that ability to laugh freely and continue laughing for such a length of time.

Another encounter with Phoebe occurred a couple of years later… one of my nieces was staying with us during a summer.  We went to a family party at one cousin’s rural farm property.  There were many family members attending,..so many that the teenagers decided to play a game of softball.  My niece was a pitcher on a softball team where she lived, so she volunteered to pitch the game.  That was fine and well, she was not shy about getting out there and playing with a group she barely knew.  But there was some kind of dispute about the rules of the game, and she wound up going head to head with one of the more abrasive girl cousins.  It was at this point that Phoebe rose to the defense of my niece, revealing not only a rebel spirit, but her own disdain for the conceited behavior of some of the clannish cousins.  This only served to endear Phoebe to me, as I was never truly included in the clannish family, and had little desire to be one of them.

The next time I saw Phoebe she was married and had a baby of her own.  It was at the wedding of Phoebe’s younger sister.  Phoebe and I chatted and teased each other, and I did not see her again for many years, but she was cemented as a favorite person in my life. 

A few years later I held a picnic for the family at which appeared Phoebe’s mother, with Phoebe’s then 4 or 5 five year old child in tow.  Phoebe’s mother came over to me and whispered that Phoebe and her husband had had another child, but there had been a tragic event a couple of days previous, and that baby had died.  That was why Phoebe’s young child was with grandma for the weekend.  How terrible to lose a child so young, and how that can alter the rest of a person’s life tragically. 

I do not have the details of Phoebe’s mental illness, people still tend to whisper about such things, as if speaking in hushed tones takes away the awfulness of mental illness.  

I did not see Phoebe again for several years.  I now know that there were several visits to psychiatric institutions, none voluntary, in the intervening years.  I did overhear snippets of stories about conflicts with neighbors and family, so I knew that there were problems.  It was, in fact, quite some time before I learned of her “visits” to psychiatric institutions, and I know about those because Phoebe herself told me her stories.  The stories are not fleshed out with details, because Phoebe herself believes that there is nothing wrong with her, and believes that all of us share equally in that paranoia.

I saw more clearly the example of her problems during a period of time when we were joined by social media.  I tried to be loving and understanding during the social media friendship, but people with mental illness sometimes push the boundaries that the rest of us live by. At times they push the boundaries just too far, and, after asking Phoebe several times to stop, I had to block her entirely from that social media.  To be honest, I do not think that Phoebe knows that I blocked her.  I do still love Phoebe, and I think of her often, with fondness and with sadness.  It is hard to be a helpless bystander, and I am glad that we live far apart, but I remain aware of her illness, and am greatly saddened by it.

I see Phoebe every couple of years, and it never changes,… she starts by telling me what I need in my life, and occasionally mentions some paranoid thing –which I ignore by asking her a question as a means of changing the subject.  Thereby we are able to converse for as long as half an hour, if she is trying hard to remain in the present and hold on to some form of reality.
I remain in contact with one of Phoebe’s children, and I offer moral support, because that is all I can do.  I will inform this child of Phoebe’s that this was written, so that child will know that I love Phoebe, and I do wish that there was something I could do, but,… mental illness….  
Myself, I have what I call “issues”, but I thank God every day that I am able to fight within myself to remain in reality –however bizarre the realities of this day and age become.
_____________________________________________________________________________

LEARN:




2 comments:

  1. Your words are beautiful as you put them to your wonderful growing up experiences!
    This is a talent that few have.
    I would enjoy much so, if you could email me all your moments of written life true stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion

    ReplyDelete