Tuesday, April 7, 2015

farewell Peggy Olson....

Peggy Olson.
A hero for the modern woman.  She reminds me of a few women I know who entered the working world –a working world once populated almost exclusively by men.  Peggy Olson embodies a pioneer of workplace equality.  She put up with a lot of nonsense perpetrated by her male co-workers.  But Peggy Olson persisted and she made it!  And she opened the door for other women in the workplace.  I will miss you, Peggy Olson.

Initially I did not watch Mad Men.  I liked the idea of the show, but for reasons I can no longer recall, I did not tune in.  I started to watch Mad Men in the fifth season of the show…. an episode titled “At the Codfish Ball”  (S5E7), about the strained relationships between parents and children, and between people in general.  I was intrigued enough about little Sally Draper, that I continued to tune in week after week, and watched marathon showings of Mad Men, trying to catch up.  Finally, in preparation of the final episodes, AMC showed the entire series in 3 or 4 episode segments on Sunday mornings, and I have been able to see the entire story.  Those are some crazy Mad Men, and women!

I will miss every one of them, Don Draper, Joan Holloway, Roger Sterling, Peggy Olson, Sally Draper, and Ken Cosgrove –all of whom I like.  I will miss Betty Draper Francis, Pete Campbell, Megan Draper (she should get her teeth fixed!),  Stan Rizzo, and Paul Kinsey –none of whom I like in any way.  I already miss Lane Pryce and Bert Cooper.

I will miss the drama.  I will miss the intrigue of the Don Draper character.  Most of all I will miss Peggy Olson, the endearing, aggravating, wonderful “modern woman”.


The final episodes have only begun, we have no idea where these few episodes will lead or leave off…. but already I am wistful and a little sentimental about saying a final “farewell” to the idea of watching Mad Men forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment